From Positano to Pompeii...options?

What options are available for reaching Pompeii from Positano? For going there in the morning and returning in the afternoon.

Well, you have some options:

1. SITA bus from Positano to Sorrento followed by Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Pompei Scavi.
  2. Ferry from Positano to Sorrento followed by Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Pompei Scavi.
  3. Private transfer.

Either way you chose, I would say to diversify: go with bus+train, return with train+ferry or vice-versa.

1 Like

Is it Pompei with a single “i”? I always thought it had a double “i”.

Pompeii is the English spelling (in Latin it’s also Pompeii :slight_smile:), while Pompei is the Italian spelling. Same story as Rome vs Roma, Naples vs Napoli, Milan vs Milano etc.

What you’re interested in is Pompei Scavi (“Pompeii Ruins”) train station. The main entrance is a short walk from this train station.

There’s still a modern-day Pompei city, so that’s why you need to be a bit careful where you get off.

1 Like

That’s a useful thing to know. I guess one of the downsides of anglicizing everything is the ensuing confusion it can create. Thanks for chiming in :heart: