SITA bus question - 2nd week May

The planning for our 1-week holiday on the Amalfi Coast in May is in full swing now. I’ve been reading some rather concerning comments about how difficult it is to use the public transport on the Amalfi Coast due to them being overly crowded sometimes.

We thought we would use the SITA buses to travel from town to town as that seemed efficient and cost effective. Would we experience anything like what I’ve described above in early May? What do you think?

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. In May you won’t have any issues. The overcrowding of the SITA buses you mentioned happens in July-August when the season is at its peak and only on certain routes at certain times of the day, like in the afternoons from Amalfi to Sorrento or 1st part of the day from Sorrento to Amalfi. This is also the most trafficked/busiest route.

So, we can rely on public transportation for hopping from town to town?

Yes, absolutely. Also, if I may suggest, whenever possible and for a change of scenery consider water transportation as well. This is a coast after all. Say you are based in Positano and want to reach Amalfi. Take the ferry instead. This is possible for Positano, Amalfi, Minori, Maiori and Cetara where ferries can dock. And also Sorrento/Salerno.

Excellent suggestion @Dan. Appreciated. Thank you!! Would look more into this.