Visiting towns all the way down at Amalfi Coast

We are planning to visit most of the town starting from Salerno to Sorrento by our car in May 8th.
I was wondering that can I find car parking lots easly in towns ?
Do you recommend to use the public transport instead driving car in May ?
The biggest worry is to spend a lots of time to find parking spot .

I am going to stay the previous night at Salerno and start visiting the coast in the morning.
Can I go to Sorrento and come back to Salerno at the same day ?

Regards…

My suggestion would be to leave the car in Salerno and use the ferry instead.

1. Salerno - Amalfi ferry: you can visit Amalfi and Atrani since they are basically one next to the other; wander their streets; spend time on the beach; visit the Amalfi Duomo, Paper Museum .etc;
  2. Amalfi - Positano ferry: take the ferry to Positano; wander through Positano; spend time on the beach; see the newly opened Villa Romana;
  3. Positano - Salerno ferry: take the ferry from Positano back to Salerno;

This way you would have visited 3 Amalfi Coast towns as well as admire the entire coast from the sea since Positano is the last town in your direction and Vietri sul Mare is the first from Salerno.

If you are leaving the area the next day, and depending on your destination, you could do the Amalfi Drive with your car just so you could experience the coast from another perspective. Best if you leave early as to avoid the traffic.

I was wondering that can I find car parking lots easly in towns ?

You will have a hard time finding parking. Also, traffic is very congested.

Do you recommend to use the public transport instead driving car in May ?

Yes, absolutely. Ferry is the 1st option, then SITA bus.

Can I go to Sorrento and come back to Salerno at the same day ?

I don’t think this is doable. It’s too much crammed into one day. Better leave Sorrento for another day.

1 Like

I would also advise you against visiting the Amalfi Coast by car. You would lose too much time being blocked in traffic or trying to find a parking spot (these are so limited that they truly are a premium commodity on the AC, especially in the last 5 years or so).

You already have limited time (one day), so try to maximize this time as much as possible.

If you still want to experience the Amalfi Drive (from the bus :smiley:), take the Salerno - Amalfi SITA bus instead of the ferry for this leg of the trip and then you can continue with the points 2 and 3 suggested above.

About also doing Sorrento in the same day, I don’t see how that’s possible. Even so, I would consider Ravello prior to Sorrento. Or do Ravello instead of Positano. Choices, choices…

Hi Dan,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
It seems to me that it is almost impossible to make it in one day.
I have to reschedule my trip for an extra day for coast of Amalfi.
Regards…

1 Like

Hi Amalfilophile,
You gave me another good pieces of advice. I might consider to take the bus.
I am going to rearrange the schedule for Coast Amalfi trip.
Thanks for your recommendations.

Regards…

That would be the best decision. An extra day would really allow you to explore the coast at a more leisurely pace instead of running around to check everything off a list. It’s a holiday after all, not a job task.